Boston, Mass.—Sophomore outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) led the way for the Anchorwomen with a double-double (17 kills, 12 digs) as the Rhode Island College women's volleyball team won their season finale, 3-2 (16-25, 25-15, 25-19, 20-25, 16-14), at Emmanuel College on Thursday evening at Andy Yosinoff Court.
Rhode Island College 3, Emmanuel College 2
Rhode Island College (9-16)
Emmanuel College (7-20)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• As the first set began, both teams exchanged points. The score was knotted at seven apiece before an 8-2 run by the Saints gave them a 16-9 advantage. The Anchorwomen were not able to climb back before eventually falling by nine, 25-16.
• Early in the second stanza, RIC fell behind by two points, 10-8, before a huge, 17-5, run closed out the Saints by a score of 25-15 to tie the match at 1-1.
• The third set was dominated by the Anchorwomen. RIC held a 19-5 lead before the Saints scored nine consecutive points to cut the deficit down to six. EC came within four points, 23-19, before the Anchorwomen captured the set by six, 25-19 to secure a 2-1 lead in the match.
• The hosts jumped out to an early, 8-1, lead to begin the fourth frame. The Anchorwomen battled back to come within a single point, 15-14, before falling in the set, 25-20, to set up a decisive fifth set.
• The Saints looked to be in full control of the fifth set, quickly going up by six, 11-5. RIC Head Coach Sherri Heard called a timeout, which ignited the team as the Anchorwomen battled back to tie the score at 14 before taking the lead on a service ace from junior libero Samantha Borges (Swansea, MA), 15-14. The Anchorwomen would score the next point due to an error by the Saints, and secure the victory, 16-14, and win the match 3-2.
• Borges had two kills, two service aces, and 13 digs in the match. Senior outside hitter Jessica Brielmaier (West Greenwich, RI) had nine kills and two digs. Senior setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) registered a double-double with 40 assists and 11 digs. Junior outside hitter Wynter Conlon (Cranston, RI) chipped in with five kills and 15 digs.
• EC senior outside hitter Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, MA) led the way for the Saints with 10 kills and 11 digs for a double-double. Freshman libero Samantha Carrigan (Plaistow, NH) registered a match-high 24 digs.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .118 (47-29-153), while EC hit .106 (40-25-141)
• RIC held the advantage in kills, 47-40, while EC led in digs, 70-67.
• EC held a slight advantage in service aces, 14-13.