Gorham, Maine—Sophomore outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) led the way offensively with 13 kills as Rhode Island College fell, 3-1 (21-25, 25-22, 15-25, 14-25), to Colby in its second match of the day at a tri-match hosted by Southern Maine.
Colby 3, Rhode Island College 1
Rhode Island College (7-16)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC led, 7-2, in the opening set before Colby went on a 9-2 run to build an 11-9 lead. The score was tied, 18-18, but CC eventually pulled away to lead by four, 22-19, and closed out the frame with a four-point, 25-22, win.
• The two teams were tied, 14-14, before RIC went on a 6-3 run to lead by three, 20-17, in the second set. The Mules pulled within one, 21-20, but the Anchorwomen closed out the stanza to win by three, 25-22.
• The third set was all in Colby's favor. RIC was down by one, 8-7, but a 9-5 run gave CC the cushion it would need to eventually win by 10, 25-15.
• The fourth set was tied, 5-5, when Colby went on a 12-5 run to pull away and win by 10, 25-10, and take the match, 3-1.
• Junior libero Samantha Borges (Swansea, MA) had 12 digs, while senior setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) handed out 24 assists and knocked down five service aces. Freshman middle hitter Angelly Polanco (Providence, RI) contributed six kills and four blocks.
• Colby senior middle blocker Nicole Petherbridge (Tewksbury, MA) and junior outside hitter Elizabeth Middlebrook (Ridgefield, CT) led the way offensively with 15 and 11 kills, respectively.
• Freshman setter Morgan Selby (Cumberland, ME) handed out a match-best 35 assists.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .105 (33-21-114), while Colby hit .270 (47-13-126).
• The Mules led in kills, 47-33, digs, 38-37, and assists, 42-31. Each team had 10 blocks.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Suffolk on Tuesday, Oct. 29 (7 p.m.).