Gorham, Maine-- Sophomore outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) led the way for the Anchorwomen with 17 kills, nine digs and four blocks as the Rhode Island College women's volleyball team fell at Southern Maine, 3-2 (25-23, 12-25, 23-25, 26-24, 10-15), at Hill Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
Southern Maine 3, Rhode Island College 2
Southern Maine (14-14, 4-3 LEC)
Rhode Island College (7-15, 1-7 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC controlled the tempo in the beginning of the first set, leaping out to a 5-1 lead. USM quickly stormed back and gained the lead after five straight points, 6-5. RIC regained the advantage for a moment, 8-7, before the hosts retook the lead and went on an 11-3 run (20-11). The Anchorwomen gained momentum after a scoring run (14-3) of their own and closed out the set, 25-23, to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.
• USM started the second set on a roll, scoring the first 11 points. RIC was not able to gain any traction, as the hosts captured the set by 13, 25-12, to tie the match at one apiece.
• The third set was even the entire way. Both teams swapped leads, but it was the Huskies that were able to push through and win the stanza, 25-23, to build a 2-1 lead.
• The Anchorwomen looked to be in control of the fourth set, jumping out to an 8-3 lead before a USM timeout. Coming out of the timeout. the Huskies were able to make a comeback and take a 12-10 lead before a RIC timeout. The rest of the stanza was back and forth, with neither side able to take more than a one-point lead. RIC edged out the Huskies, 26-24, to force a decisive fifth set.
• In the fifth set, both teams exchanged points, but it was the Huskies who used a 6-0 run to close out the set, 15-10 and the match, 3-2.
• Junior outside hitter Jenaeya Evans (Marietta, GA) had a double-double with 11 kills and 12 digs. Junior libero Samantha Borges (Swansea, MA) registered a team-high 20 digs, while senior setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) led the match with 36 assists.
• USM senior outside hitter Megan Gettings (Bristol, CT) had a double-double with a team-high 17 kills and 15 digs. Senior right-side hitter Sophie Lindsay (Pasadena, CA) also had a double-double with a match-high 24 digs and 15 kills.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .220 (51-16-159), while USM hit .256 (70-25-176).
• USM held the advantage in kills, 70-51, and digs, 77-61.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will face Colby in its second match of the day at the Southern Maine tri (2 p.m.).