Providence, R.I.--Sophomore outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) led the way for the Anchorwomen with a team-high nine kills as the Rhode Island College women's volleyball team fell in straight sets, 3-0 (25-16, 25-15, 27-15), to UMass Boston in Little East action played at the Murray Center.
UMass Boston 3, Rhode Island College 0
UMass Boston (7-16, 4-2 LEC)
Rhode Island College (7-14, 1-6 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The RIC senior trio of middle hitter Jessica Brielmaier (West Greenwich, RI), setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) and right side hitter Sadie Swap (Ivoryton, CT) were honored, along with their families, as part of Senior Night prior to the match.
• The first set saw both teams exchange points early on. The Beacons trailed by a three, 13-10, before they went on to score eight straight points and take a commanding, 18-13 lead. The visitors went on to win the set 25-16. UMB Sophomore hitter Marcelle Tiscareno (El Paso, TX) recorded five kills in the set. RIC freshman libero Wynter Conlon (East Walpole, MA) led the team with four digs in the frame.
• The second set was never in question as the visitors dominated from start to finish. UMD jumped out to a quick, 8-2, lead and capitalized on several RIC reception errors.. UMB saw their largest lead extend to 10 points, 21-11, before eventually capturing the set, 25-15. A handful of service aces by junior defensive specialist Tyla Parker (Mahwah, NJ) and freshman hitter McKayla Geraghty (Elgin, Ill) propelled the Beacons in the stanza, giving UMB a 2-0 lead in the match. Murphy had three kills in the set for the Anchorwomen.
• In the third set RIC gained an early lead, 6-5, but the visitors proved to be too strong as the lead quickly disappeared. Both squads battled as the lead shifted back and forth as the Anchorwomen looked to be in control of the set, taking a 14-9 lead and served with a one point, 24-23 lead. UMB did not fold as the Beacons edged out RIC by a pair, 27-25, to secure the league win.
• RIC junior libero Samantha Borges (Swansea, MA) led the team with a match-high 15 digs. Murphy led the team with nine kills and Jutras contributed 16 assists and eight digs.
• Tiscareno led the Beacons with a match-high 12 kills. Junior setter Carsen Komminsk (Worthington, OH) finished with a match-high 27 assists. Parker led UMB with 12 digs. Parker (4) and Geraghty (3) combined for seven service aces.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .096 (28-19-94), while UMB hit .253 (36-13-91).
• UMB had 12 services aces and forced 12 reception errors.
• UMB held the advantage in kills, 36-28, and in digs, 40-37.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island will continue Little East action at Southern Maine on Saturday, Oct. 26 (noon). The Anchorwomen will also face Colby (2 p.m.) as part of the tri-match.