Providence, R.I.--Sophomore outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) had a match-high 11 kills as Rhode Island College blanked Castleton, 3-0 (25-12, 25-19, 25-13), in Little East women's volleyball action played at The Murray Center on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 3, Castleton 0
Rhode Island College (6-9, 1-3 LEC)
Castleton (7-9, 1-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The first set was tied, 9-9, before the Anchorwomen used a 12-2 run to build a 21-11 lead. Junior right side hitter Eden Anthony (Cranston, RI) picked up back-to-back kills to close out the frame.
• After falling behind, 10-5 in the second set, the Spartans went on an 8-5 run to climb within a pair of points, 15-13. The hosts outscored Castleton, 10-6, down the stretch and a senior middle hitter Jessica Brielmaier (West Greenwich, RI) kill put the frame away.
• The third and final set was all RIC. After Castleton climbed within one, 6-5, the Anchorwomen went on an 11-3 run to put the set out of reach.
• Brielmaier and junior outside hitter Jenaeya Evans (Marietta, GA) each had six kills in the win. Evans also picked up seven digs.
• Castleton freshman outside hitter Lizzie Goodrich (Essex Junction, VT) led the visitors with five kills.
• Junior libero Meghan Zawatsky (Chelmsford, MA) posted a match-high 13 digs, while junior setter Bre McDuff (Hudson Falls, NY) led the Spartans with 15 assists.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .278 (33-11-79), while Castleton hit -.089 (18-26-90).
• The Warriors held the advantage in kills, 33-18, blocks, 11-1, and digs, 40-34.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Roger Williams on Tuesday, Oct. 8 (7 p.m.).