Danbury, Conn.-- Sophomore outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) led the way for the Anchorwomen offense with 10 kills in the club's, 3-0 (25-18, 25-19, 25-15), victory over Sarah Lawrence at Western Connecticut State on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 3, Sarah Lawrence 1
Rhode Island College (5-8)
Sarah Lawrence (7-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC controlled the first set from the start. Sarah Lawrence tied the score at 1-1 before the Anchorwomen used an 11-5 scoring run to propel them to victory in the set, 25-18.
• A quick, 10-3, start to the second set gave RIC the momentum to increase its lead to 2-0. The Anchorwomen went up, 21-8, before a 10-1 run by Sarah Lawrence brought the lead down to four, 22-18. RIC was able to close the door and secure the set, which gave the Anchorwomen a 2-0 lead.
• The third set went in favor of the Anchorwomen as the team held a lead as large as 10 points, 19-9. RIC did not let Sarah Lawrence gain momentum as they finished off the set, 25-15, and captured the match, 3-0.
• Freshman outside hitter Angelly Polanco (Providence, RI) had six kills and a team-high two blocks. Junior outside hitter Jenaeya Evans (Marietta, GA) had eight kills and 10 digs. Junior Libero Samantha Borges (Swansea, MA) registered a team-high 13 digs.
• Sarah Lawrence junior outside hitter Melanie Coleman (Forest Hills, NY) led the team with nine kills to go along with seven digs. Freshman libero Clarise Steiner (Mansfield, OH) and senior Lauren Kilroy (King of Prussia, PA) each recorded a match-high 13 digs.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .228 (35-12-101), while Sarah Lawrence hit .019 (22-20-108).
• RIC held the advantage in kills, 35-22, and digs, 59-53.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will face Sarah Lawrence in its second match of the day at Western Connecticut (2 p.m.).