Leicester, Mass.—Sophomore outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) led the Anchorwomen attack with a career-high 24 kills and added five digs in a five-set, 3-2 (25-15, 21-25, 24-26, 25-17, 15-8), RIC victory over Becker College on Tuesday evening at Leicester Gymnasium.
Rhode Island College 3, Becker College 2
Rhode Island College (3-7)
Becker College (5-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Anchorwomen dominated the opening set, getting out to a 13-2 lead before eventually winning the set by 10, 25-15.
• Becker controlled the second set from the start. RIC tied the set, 1-1, before the Hawks went on a 13-3 scoring run. RIC nearly came back to tie the score at 23 (23-21) before the Hawks closed out the set 25-21.
• The third set went began with both teams struggling to build a lead. The Hawks saw their largest lead in the set early when the score was 12-7. The Anchorwomen gained momentum towards the tail end of the set by taking the lead 24-23, but failed to clinch the set, as the Hawks scored three straight points to take a 2-1 lead in the match.
• The fourth set started similarly to the third, with neither team able to build a commanding lead. The teams swapped points until a RIC 10-2 scoring run helped the visitors capture the frame and tie the match, 2-2.
• RIC jumped out to a fast start in the fifth set with an 11-2 lead. Becker tried to mount a comeback, but the Anchorwomen were able to resist and secure the set, winning 15-8, to give them the 3-2 victory.
• RIC senior middle-hitter Jessica Brielmaier (West Greenwich, RI) had 13 kills, two digs and four blocks. Junior libero Samantha Borges (Swansea, MA) and classmate outside hitter Jenaeya Evans (Marietta, GA) each had a team-high 17 digs.
• Becker senior setter Joanna Bampi (Colchester, CT) led the match with 24 digs and added two kills. Senior outside hitter Sofia Cullina (Deep River, CT) led the Hawks with 10 kills and added 10 digs.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .234 (66-27-167), while Becker hit .107 (36-21-140)
• RIC led with 66 kills, 75 digs and 14 blocks.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Salem State on Thursday, Sept. 26 (6 p.m.).