Providence R.I.—Freshman middle hitter Angelly Polanco (Providence, RI) finished with seven kills as the Rhode Island College women's volleyball team opened up Little East Conference play in a 3-0 (25-16, 25-14, 25-11) loss to Keene State at The Murray Center.
Keene State 3, Rhode Island College 0
Keene State (11-3, 1-0 LEC)
Rhode Island College (2-7, 0-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Keene State took a 16-12 lead in the first set before embarking on a 9-2 run to close out the frame with a 25-16 win. The Owls hit .583 (16-2-24) in the first set.
• The second set was tied, 8-8, before the visitors ripped off a 17-6 run to win the frame, 25-14, and build a 2-0 advantage.
• The Owls and Anchorwomen were tied, 7-7, in the final set, but Keene State continued its offensive dominance an went on to win, 25-11, to pick up its first conference win of the season.
• Keene State was paced by sophomore outside hitter Ali McLoughlin (Melbourne, FL), who hit .667 (15-1-21) and notched 15 kills. Junior outside hitter Megan Palmer (East Islip, NY) hit .600 (11-2-15) with 11 kills.
• Junior setter Bailey Wilson (Moorpark, CA) handed out 32 assists and senior libero Olivia Mathieu (Derry, NH) picked up a match-high 14 digs.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .028 (23-21-71), while the Owls hit .565 (46-7-69).
• KSC led in digs, 27-12 and service aces, 4-3.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Becker on Tuesday, Sept. 24 (7 p.m.).