Providence R.I.--Senior middle-hitter Jessica Brielmaier (West Greenwich, RI) led the way for the Anchorwomen with a match-high seven kills and one block as the Rhode Island College women's volleyball team defeated Anna Maria in straight sets, 3-0 (25-18, 25-20, 25-18), at The Murray Center on Tuesday evening.
Rhode Island College 3, Anna Maria 0
Rhode Island College (2-6)
Anna Maria (1-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The first set started off slow until RIC went on an 8-0 scoring run, propelled by senior setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) who assisted on 10 of the points, to help the Anchorwomen win the set by seven, 25-18.
• RIC was able to control most of the match, only trailing once early in the first set. RIC built a 9-3 lead in the second set, only to see the visitors climb within five, 23-18, before junior right side hitter Eden Anthony (Cranston, RI) put the stanza away with a kill.
• In the third set, the hosts built a 12-5 lead. The AMCats got as close as two points, 13-11, but the Anchorwomen went on a 12-7 run to secure the shutout.
• Junior libero Samantha Borges (Swansea, MA) led the team with four service aces and added a team-high seven digs. Jutras led the team with 24 assists.
• AMC sophomore outside hitter Jenna Grande (Whitman, MA) led the visitors with five kills and a match-high 10 digs.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .191 (33-26-89) while Anna Maria hit .047 (18-15-64)
• RIC led in kills (33-18). Anna Maria led in digs, 37-25, while both clubs registered four blocks.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will open Little East play at home vs. Keene State on Saturday, Sept. 21 (Noon).