Boston, Mass.—Freshman Chelsea Yang (Warwick, RI) won the New England Championship in the hammer, while junior Oluwafunmibi Yusuff (Providence, RI), senior Destinee Barrette (Warwick, RI) and freshman Melissa Mejia (Providence, RI) each earned All-New England honors in the same event, to help the Rhode Island College women's track & field team notched a 16th place finish at the 2018 N.E Div. III Championship, hosted by MIT on Friday and Saturday.
• The Anchorwomen finished the meet in 16th place (35 teams) with 20.0 points, while host MIT won the title with 161.0 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Yang registered a first place finish in the hammer (53.24m) to win the individual crown and earn All-England honors.
• Yusuff earned All-New England honors in the hammer with a fifth place finish (47.61m) and also recorded a 25th place finish in the shot (10.26m).
• Barrette earned All-New England honors in the hammer with a fourth place finish (50.24m) and also posted a 26th place finish in the shot (10.03m).
• Mejia earned All-New England honors with an eighth place finish in the hammer (46.16) and finished in 14th in the discus (34.93m).
• Sophomore Jamie Dobson (Bradford, RI) registered a ninth place finish in the hammer (46.05m).
• Junior Melanie Brunelle (Warwick, RI) placed 12th in the high jump (1.54m), was 18th in the long jump (4.94m) and finished 13th in the triple jump (10.84m).
• Sophomore Emma Landroche (Warwick, RI) registered a 14th place finish in the 100m (14.61) and a ninth place finish in the long jump (5.26m).
• Junior Margaret McCaffrey (East Greenwich, RI) notched a 23rd place finish in the 800m (2:20.34).
• Freshman Rachel Meus (Providence, RI) recorded a ninth place finish in the high jump (1.59m).
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will compete at the 2018 New England Open Championships hosted by Dartmouth on Friday and Saturday, May 11-12.