Smithfield, R.I.—Junior Margaret McCaffrey (East Greenwich, RI) established a new school record in the 3,000m steeplechase, which qualified her for the New England Championships, and was also a part of the 4x800m relay as the Rhode Island College women's track & field team opened the outdoor portion of their schedule at Bryant's Black & Gold Invitational on Saturday afternoon. RIC finished seventh (11 teams) with a score of 50.5. Brown won the meet with a score of 176.0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• McCaffrey finished third in the steeplechase (11:55.10) and joined junior Nicole Grammas (Cranston, RI), freshman Shayna Cousineau (Cranston, RI) and junior Rebecca Meinertz (Smithfield, RI) to finish fifth and establish a new RIC record in the 4x800m relay (10:21.58).
• Senior Destinee Barrette (Warwick, RI) finished sixth and broke the program record in the shot (10.94m). She also finished third in the hammer (49.51m) and 15th in the discus (30.22m).
• Junior Oluwafunmibi Yusuff (Providence, RI) finished seventh in the shot (10.90m), which broke the program record before Barrette established the new high mark. She also finished 11th in the hammer (43.47m) and 14th in the discus (30.45m).
• Freshman Chelsea Yang (Warwick, RI) finished first in the hammer (50.46m).
• Sophomore Emma Landroche (Warwick, RI) finished fourth in the 100m (12.97), sixth in the triple jump (10.29m) and 21st in the long jump (4.64m).
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will compete at the AIC Invitational on Saturday, April 7 (10 a.m.).