Providence, R.I.—No. 1-seeded Rhode Island College advanced to the finals with a 5-0 win over No. 5-seeded Bridgewater State in the semifinals of the 2019 Little East Women's Tennis Championship played at the RIC Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 5, Bridgewater State University 0
Rhode Island College (14-1)
Bridgewater State University (7-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore Michaela Burr (Westerly, RI) and junior Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) defeated BSU graduate student Rachel Tarantino (Mansfield, MA) and senior Angelique Gray (Barnstable, MA), 8-2, at No. 3 doubles as the hosts took a 1-0 lead.
• RIC freshman Jenna Lisi (Cranston, RI) and junior Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) picked up an 8-3 victory against BSU freshman Sailor Nordstrom (New Bedford, MA) and sophomore Vanessa Rosa (Taunton, MA) at No. 1 doubles, to earn a 2-0 lead.
• RIC junior duo Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) and Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) defeated BSU junior Olivia Sweeney (Taunton, MA) and senior Emma Mils (Westport, MA), 8-4, at No. 2 doubles to give the Anchorwomen a 3-0 lead in the match.
• Raskob defeated Rosa (6-0, 6-0) at No. 4 singles to pull RIC within a point of clinching the match.
• Lisi defeated Nordstrom (6-0, 6-2) at No. 1 singles to win the contest and send RIC into the finals for the fourth straight season.
In upcoming action, No. 1-seeded Rhode Island College will host No. 2-seeded UMass Boston in the finals match of the 2019 Little East Women's Tennis Championship on Sunday, Oct. 20 (1 p.m.). The Anchorwomen defeated the Beacons, 8-1, in the two club's regular season meeting on Sept. 7.