Providence, R.I.--The Rhode Island College women's tennis team clinched at least a share of the 2019 Little East Regular Season Championship in a 7-2 win over Plymouth State at the RIC Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 7, Plymouth State 2
Rhode Island College (12-1, 8-0 LEC)
Plymouth State (8-5, 5-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The win marks the fifth consecutive season the Anchorwomen have clinched at least a share of the Little East Regular Season Championship.
• RIC can claim the outright championship with a win over Southern Maine on Saturday. With today's win, Rhode Island College has locked up the top seed, a first round bye and will have the homecourt advantage throughout the 2019 Little East Championship, which begins next week.
• RIC sophomore Michaela Burr (Westerly, RI) and junior Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) defeated PSU juniors Kerstin Venincasa (Sutton, MA) and Jenna Sundquist (Monument Beach, MA), 8-2, at No. 2 doubles.
• Freshman Jenna Lisi (Cranston, RI) and junior Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) defeated the PSU tandem of freshman Megan Marshall (Dartmouth, MA) and junior Maggie McCarthy (Marion, MA), 8-3, at No. 1 doubles to send the hosts into singles action up by three, 3-0
• Lisi defeated McCarthy (6-0, 6-0) at No. 1 singles.
• Raskob defeated Marshall (6-1, 6-1) at No. 3 singles to clinch the win.
• Burr defeated Winter (6-1, 6-2) at No. 2 singles.
• Venincasa defeated RIC junior Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA) (6-2, 6-4) at No. 4 singles.
• RIC sophomore Clara Siegmund (Pomfret, CT) defeated Street (6-3, 6-1) at No. 5 singles.
• Sundquist downed RIC junior Serena Bobola (Cranston, RI) (7-6 (7-5), 1-6, 12-10) at No. 6 singles.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Clark on Friday, Oct. 11 (4 p.m.).