Rindge, N.H.—The Rhode Island College women's tennis team suffered their first loss of the season in a 6-1 setback at Div. II Franklin Pierce on Thursday evening.
Franklin Pierce 6, Rhode Island College 1
Franklin Pierce (3-2)
Rhode Island College (6-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Ravens graduate student Himani Mor (Sonipat, India) and freshman Liria Loria (La Paz, Bolivia) defeated RIC juniors Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) and Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) 6-0, at No. 1 doubles.
• RIC freshman Jenna Lisi (Cranston, RI) and junior Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) defeated the FPU freshmen duo of Jazmin Flood (Laredo, TX) and Laura Alvarez Tello (Vigo, Spain), 6-4, at No. 2 doubles.
• FPU senior pair Brigid Washburn (Greentown, PA) and Sarah Rich (Windham, ME) defeated RIC juniors Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) and Clara Siegmund (Pomfret, CT), 6-3, at No. 3 doubles as the hosts took a 1-0 lead after winning the doubles contests, 2-1.
• Franklin Pierce's Loria defeated (6-0, 6-0) Lisi at No. 1 singles.
• Alvarez Tello defeated Zangari (6-1, 6-2) at No. 2 singles, while Flood defeated (6-7, (7-5), 6-4) junior Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA) at No. 5 singles.
• Raskob led after the first set before eventually falling to freshman Jillian Pagliuca (Taunton, MA) (7-6, (7-5) 6-3, 6-3) at No. 4 singles.
• RIC junior Serena Bobola (Cranston, RI) bested Washburn (6-4, 6-3) at No. 6 singles for the Anchorwomen's lone point on the day.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East play at Bridgewater State on Saturday, Sept. 21 (Noon).