Providence, R.I.—Senior midfielder Christina Armstrong (Wakefield, RI) scored her first two career goals, including the golden goal game-winner, as the Rhode Island College women's soccer team defeated Simmons College, 2-1, in double overtime at Alumni Field on Monday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 2, Simmons College 1
Rhode Island College (4-12)
Simmons College (2-11-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Simmons College wasted no time before they got on the board. The Sharks' leading scorer Izabella Warren (Hillsboro, NH) converted on a penalty kick after a foul in the box in the seventh minute of the game to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.
• The Anchorwomen held an 11-3 lead in shots, but went into halftime trailing Simmons by a goal.
• RIC was able to knot the game at one apiece early in the second half when a loose ball found the foot of Armstrong, following a corner kick by senior midfielder Kat Carrillo (Central Falls, RI), in the 48th minute. Armstrong fired a shot to the bottom left of the goal for her first career marker.
• The remainder of the second half was scoreless, as both teams had their chances, but failed to convert. The Anchorwomen outshot the Sharks in the second frame, 10-8.
• It was not until the 109th minute when the hosts were able to finally get a shot past the Sharks freshman goalkeeper Melanie Colman (Holliston, MA). Freshman midfielder Alexandra Amore (Saunderstown, RI) found Armstrong, who had an open shooting lane and kicked the ball to the top left corner to lift the hosts to the walk-off win.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC senior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made five saves in the win (3-12).
• Colman made 15 saves in the loss (2-11-1).
• RIC outshot Simmons 29-12 and held the advantage in corner kicks, 8-6.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action in the regular season finale at Southern Maine on Saturday, Oct. 26 (Noon).