Providence, R.I.—Rhode Island College freshman forward Alexandra Amore (Saunderstown, RI) scored the Anchorwomen's lone goal in a 2-1 loss vs. UMass Boston in Little East women's soccer action played at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
UMass Boston 2, Rhode Island College 1
UMass Boston (14-2, 6-0 LEC)
Rhode Island College (3-12, 0-7 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC seniors Christina Armstrong (Wakefield, RI), Kat Carrillo (Central Falls, RI), Madyson Christian (Douglas, MA), Aliyah Colvin (North Providence, RI), Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) and Breanne Ford (Schenectady, NY) were honored, along with their families, as part of Senior Day 2019 prior to the game.
• The Beacons wasted no time in taking the lead when sophomore forward Grace McGettrick (Marshfield, MA) scored her team-leading 11th goal of the season. Sophomore forward Grace Oliver (Rockland, MA) came down the left sideline and fed McGettrick for a shot just inside the top corner of the box to stake the visitors to a 1-0 lead.
• The hosts nearly tied the game up in the 22nd minute after a UMB foul set up RIC for a free kick from 35 yards out. Sophomore defender Audra Gracia (New Bedford, MA) launched a kick that got by Beacon freshman goalkeeper Maria Spylios (Leominster, MA) and was headed directly to junior forward Soleil Galagarza (Pawtucket, RI) on the back post. The UMB defense got to the ball first and cleared it out of harm's way.
• The Anchormen knotted the game, 1-1, in the 30th minute when Amore beat her defender down the sideline, cut into the box and ripped a shot that was saved by a Spylios dive. The rebound went right back to Amore who fired the ball into the open net for her fifth marker of the season.
• The Beacons led in shots, 8-7, and corner kicks, 6-2, in the first half. UMass Boston hit three crossbars over the first 45 minutes.
• UMass Boston regained its advantage in the 51st minute off a corner kick. Sophomore midfielder Allie Crawford (Kingston, MA) took a corner that sailed over the top of the box and found the foot of freshman defender Kelly McNeil (Marshfield, MA). McNeill slid a pass over to sophomore defender Dani Anderson (St. Augustine, FL) on the wing who bent a perfect shot into the far corner for her third of the season.
• UMass Boston outshot RIC, 7-4, in the second half. The Beacons also led in corner kicks, 3-1.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Edwards made five saves in a losing effort (3-12).
• Spylios turned away three shots in the win (13-2).
• The Beacons led in shots, 15-11, and corner kicks, 9-3.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Simmons on Monday, Oct. 21 (3:30 p.m.).