Providence, R.I.—Senior midfielder Kat Carrillo's (Central Falls, RI) goal in the 19th minute helped lead the Rhode Island College women's soccer team past Fitchburg State, 2-0, at Alumni Field on Tuesday evening.
Rhode Island College 2, Fitchburg State 0
Rhode Island College (3-9)
Fitchburg State (4-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Fitchburg State had an early chance in the opening minute when Falcons' leading scorer freshman forward Elizabeth Read's (Lowell, MA) shot just went wide.
• It was all Anchorwomen from then on as the hosts dominated the field position. Carrillo put RIC on the board with her second of the season when she knocked down an FSU clearing attempt, settled the ball and fired a strike in from 18 yards out.
• RIC took a 1-0 lead into halftime, holding the advantage in shots, 10-2, and corner kicks, 3-1.
• The Anchorwomen got a much-needed insurance goal in the 68th minute. Junior midfielder Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) fed classmate forward Soleil Galagarza (Pawtucket, RI) about 40 yards out from the FSU net. Galagarza worked her way around the visitor's defense and ripped a shot that was stopped by junior goalkeeper Sarah Hemmings' (Eastham, MA) diving stab. The rebound went right to an open freshman midfielder Alexandra Amore (Saunderstown, RI), who buried her fourth of the season.
• Rhode Island College closed out the second half with a 14-3 advantage in shots and a 3-0 lead in corner kicks.
BY THE NUMBERS
• The win snaps and eight-game losing streak for the Anchorwomen.
• RIC senior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made two saves to earn her third win (3-9) and first shutout of the season.
• Hemmings took the loss (1-3) and made seven saves. Sophomore goalkeeper Emily Vitale (Fitchburg, MA) made three saves in 15 minutes of relief action.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island will resume Little East action at Plymouth State on Saturday, Oct. 12 (1 p.m.).