Providence, R.I.--Junior forward Soleil Galagarza (Pawtucket, RI) scored her team-leading fifth goal of the season as Rhode Island College fell to Castleton, 3-2, in Little East women's soccer action played at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
Castleton University 3, Rhode Island College 2
Castleton University (6-5, 3-1 LEC)
Rhode Island College (2-9, 0-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Castleton had the first opportunity to break the scoreless tie in the third minute of action when junior midfielder Julia Carone (Castleton, VT) launched a corner kick that was punched out of harm's way by RIC senior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI).
• In the 27th minute, Carone made a pass to find an open sophomore forward Taylor Mann (Hoosick Falls, NY) for her second goal of the year.
• The Anchorwomen went into halftime down, 1-0. Castleton led in shots, 8-6, over the first 45 minutes.
• In 55th minute, a RIC defensive lapse sent Castleton sophomore midfielder Rylee Nichols (Clarendon, VT) in on a clear breakaway, but Edwards came up with a huge diving breakup save.
• The hosts tied the game up in the 60th minute on penalty kick stemming from a Castleton foul inside the box. Galagarza seized the moment and fired a shot to the lower left corner.
• RIC gained all the momentum and added pressure on the offensive side, determined to score and take the lead. Sophomore midfielder Alyson Morris (Putnam, CT) gained possession in the offensive zone following a CU turnover, picked her target and put the ball into the net to give RIC a 2-1 lead in the 66th minute.
• CU was able to tie the game, 2-2, in the 77th minute when sophomore forward Callie Miltenberger (West Granby, CT) sent the ball into an empty net following a scrum in the box. It was Miltenberger's first of the year.
• Castleton scored the game-winning goal in the 86th minute when freshman forward Tatum Shappy (Milton, VT) took a throw-in pass from the right sideline then turned and fired a shot for her fifth marker of the season.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Edwards made seven saves in the loss (2-9).
• CU junior goalkeeper Loren Henderson (Rutland, VT) made five saves in the win (6-3).
• Castleton held the advantage in shots, 19-13, and corner kicks, 4-3.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island will host Fitchburg State on Tuesday, Oct. 8 (6 p.m.).