Willimantic, Conn.--Junior forward Soleil Galagarza (Pawtucket, RI) scored her team-leading fourth goal of the season as the Rhode Island College women's soccer team fell at Eastern Connecticut, 2-1, at Rick McCarthy Field on Wednesday afternoon.
Eastern Connecticut 2, Rhode Island College 1
Eastern Connecticut State University (3-6, 2-1 LEC)
Rhode Island College (2-8, 0-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Eastern Connecticut broke the scoreless tie in the 18th minute of action when sophomore midfielder Haley Montesanto (East Haven, CT) took a lead pass from sophomore midfielder Sierra DeCarli (Tolland, CT) and capitalized to put the Warriors on top, 1-0.
• RIC senior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) kept the Anchorwomen close in the first half with four saves. The Warriors held the advantage in shots, 8-2, while both clubs had a corner kick at the half.
• The Warriors extended their lead to a pair, 2-0, in the early stages of the second half when senior midfielder Stephanie Sanchez (Manchester, CT) scored her third goal of the season in the 48th minute.
• RIC cut the deficit in the 64th minute when sophomore midfielder Alyson Morris (Putnam, CT) sent a crossing pass into the box that was headed in by Galagarza to pull RIC within one, 2-1.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Edwards collected nine saves in the loss (2-7).
• ECSU goalkeeper senior goalkeeper Erin Collins (Millis, MA) made three saves in the win (3-6).
• RIC senior midfielder Kat Carrillo (Central Falls, RI) had a team-high two shots on goal. The Warriors held the advantage in shots, 12-4, and corner kicks, 3-1.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island will continue Little East play at Castleton on Saturday, Oct. 5 (1 p.m.).