Danbury, Conn.--Junior forward Soleil Galagarza (Pawtucket, RI) netted her team-leading fourth goal of the season as Rhode Island College fell at Western Connecticut, 3-1, in Little East women's soccer action played at the Westside Athletic Complex on Saturday afternoon.
Western Connecticut 3, Rhode Island College 1
Western Connecticut (5-4-1, 2-0 LEC)
Rhode Island College (2-7, 0-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Anchorwomen struck first in the 24th minute when Galagarza finished off a crossing pass from freshman midfielder Alexandra Amore (Saunderstown, RI) to put the visitors up, 1-0.
• The RIC lead vanished quickly, as WCSU tied the game just four minutes later when sophomore forward Kaleigh Panek (Shelton, CT) scored her first goal of the game, which came off a long pass from senior midfielder Bailey McCollum (Cold Spring, NY).
• The game was tied at halftime.
• The hosts claimed the lead 11 minutes into the second half when freshman midfielder Myah Croze (Bristol, CT) took a lead pass from McCollum and beat the defense for what proved to be the game-winning goal.
• Panek added her second goal of the game with an insurance marker in the 64th minute.
BY THE NUMBERS
• WCSU sophomore goalkeeper Karly Martin (Bristol, CT) made four saves in the win (5-4-1).
• RIC senior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made eight saves in the loss (2-7).
• The Colonials led in shots 29-7 and corner kicks 6-2.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island will continue Little East play at Eastern Connecticut on Wednesday, Oct. 2 (6 p.m.).