Providence, R.I.--Freshman midfielder Alexandra Amore (Saunderstown, RI) scored her third goal of the season as the Rhode Island College women's soccer team suffered a 3-1 setback vs. Curry College at Alumni Field on Wednesday night.
Curry College 3, Rhode Island College 1
Curry College (4-5)
Rhode Island College (2-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Curry struck first in the 14th minute of action when sophomore midfielder Felicity Monfils (North Attleboro, MA) launched a through ball, splitting two RIC defenders, to find freshman forward Madison Conway (West Springfield, MA) who fired in a shot for her first marker of the season.
• Curry went into halftime up by one goal, 1-0, and holding the advantage in shots, 14-9, and corner kicks, 4-0.
• The Colonels started the second half quickly when they increased their lead to 2-0 in the 52nd minute. Sophomore forward Samantha Borges (Somerset, MA) used her speed and dribbled the ball down the sideline into the box. Borges took a shot that was blocked by a RIC defender, but found the foot of junior forward Tayla Randall (Walpole, MA) who capitalized on a virtually empty net.
• It did not take the Colonels long to add to the lead, when Monfils scored in the 60th minute, coming off a pass from Randall, to go up by a trio of goals.
• RIC cut the deficit in the 73rd minute when Amore was able to gain possession of a loose ball in front of the Curry goal, turned and let off a shot that hit off the left post and into the net for the host's lone score of the evening.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Randall and Monfils each finished with three points (1g, 1a) on the night.
• Curry freshman goalkeeper Oliver Hutchinson (Scituate, MA) made 12 saves in the win (3-5).
• RIC senior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made 12 saves in the loss (2-6).
• Curry led in shots, 24-22, and held the advantage in corner kicks, 5-3.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island will resume Little East action at Western Connecticut on Saturday, Sept. 28 (2 p.m.).