Providence, R.I.--Freshman forward Abigail Proulx (Smithfield, RI) scored her second goal of the season as the Rhode Island College women's soccer teams fell, 5-1, vs. Keene State in the Anchorwomen's Little East Conference opener played at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
Keene State 5, Rhode Island College 1
Keene State (3-2, 1-1 LEC)
Rhode Island College (2-5, 0-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Keene State jumped out to an early lead in the seventh minute when freshman midfielder Amanda Marshall (Bow, NH) took a pass from senior midfielder Patricia Norton (Hampton, CT) and beat the RIC defense.
• RIC had its chance to tie the game moments later in the ninth minute when junior forward Soleil Galagarza (Pawtucket, RI) found a shooting lane and took a shot that missed wide to the right and kept the Anchorwomen off the scoreboard.
• KSC increased its lead in the 31st minute when junior forward Jordyn Abasciano (Auburn, MA) was set up by Norton.
• Keene State added a pair of goals by junior midfielder Rachel Braun (Brookfield, CT) and freshman midfielder Kayleigh Marshall (Bow, NH) to take a 4-0 lead into the halftime.
• The Owls led in shots, 15-8, in the first half.
• RIC sophomore midfielder Haley Rich (Chaplin, CT) had a great opportunity to score in the 65th minute, but was denied by Owl junior goalkeeper Abbie Terrinca (Ludlow, MA), who made a diving stop to her left.
• Senior midfielder Madyson Christian (Douglas, MA) set up Proulx for the host's lone goal of the day in the 55th minute.
• Junior forward Caitlin Close (Concord, NH) scored on a pass by Norton in the 74th to end the game's offensive output.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC senior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made 13 stops in the loss (2-5)
• KSC junior goalkeeper Shelby Offord (Shelton, CT) made four saves in the first half to pick up the win (1-1). Junior goalkeeper Abbie Terrinca (Ludlow, MA) posted three saves in the second half.
• Norton finished with three points (2g, 1a)
• Keene State held the advantage in shots, 25-12, and in corner kicks, 4-3.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Curry on Wednesday Sept. 25 (6:30 p.m.)