Worcester, Mass.—WPI defeated Rhode Island College, 4-0, in collegiate women's soccer action on Saturday afternoon.
WPI 4, Rhode Island College 0.
Rhode Island College (2-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Engineers took the lead in the 12th minute of the game and never looked back when junior forward Leah Beauton (Colchester, CT) scored on a pass coming from junior forward Sofia Orrico (Bethel, CT) and sophomore midfielder Elizabeth Rocco (Fresh Meadows, NY).
• RIC saw its first opportunity to score early on when sophomore midfielder Audra Garcia (New Bedford, MA) fired a shot that was turned away by WPI senior goalkeeper Mandy St. Germain (Upton, MA).
• A save by St. Germain on junior forward Soleil Galagarza (Pawtucket, RI) kept the Engineers ahead in the 40th minute.
• WPI added another goal late in the first half when sophomore midfielder Ava Schlesinger (Niskayuna, NY) was set up by a pass from freshman forward Caitlin Bonavita (Wilbraham, MA) after a scrum in front of the goal following a corner kick.
• The Anchorwomen had two shots, both by Galagarza, sail high in the second half.
• WPI junior forward Leah Beauton (Colchester, CT) and senior midfielder Kristin McRae (Weymouth, MA) scored in the 47th and 89th minute, respectively, to secure the win for the Engineers.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Anchorwomen goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) had 10 saves in the loss (2-3).
• St. Germain made two saves in the win (5-1).
• WPI led total shots 29-6 and had the advantage in corner kicks 7-2.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Regis on Tuesday, Sept. 10 (6 p.m.).