Providence, R.I.--Sophomore forward Soleil Galagarza (Pawtucket, RI) and sophomore midfielder Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) each scored a pair of goals as the Rhode Island College women's soccer team blanked Massachusetts Maritime, 6-0, at Alumni Field on Monday night.
Rhode Island College 6, Mass. Maritime 0
Mass. Maritime (1-11)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC opened the scoring just 1:10 into the contest when senior Olivia Capraro (North Providence,RI) tallied her fifth goal of the season for what would prove to be the game-winner.
• Galagarza scored in the fourth minute and then back-to-back goals from Young staked the Anchorwomen to a 4-0 advantage.
• Galagarza recorded her second goal of the game at the 12:11 mark of the first half to make the score 5-0.
• RIC capped off the scoring for the first half in the 19th minute when freshman midfielder Morgan LaPlume (Attleboro, MA) tallied her first collegiate goal, putting in a corner kick from senior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI). Capraro was also credited with an assist on the play.
• RIC took the 6-0 lead heading into halftime after outshooting the visitors, 28-2
• Both teams emptied the bench for the final 45 minutes of the game as the Anchorwomen cruised to the 6-0 victory.
• Junior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) picked up the win (4-6-1) despite being untested in net in the first half. Sophomore goalkeeper Carissa Gaglione (West Warwick, RI) made two stops in the second half to preserve the shutout for the Anchorwomen.
• Sophomore Mikayla Houlihan (Middleboro, MA) posted 12 saves in the setback (1-9) for Massachusetts Maritime in the first half, while senior Rachel Gardner (Bourne, MA) made one stop over the final 45 minutes for the Buccaneers.
• Capraro tallied one goal and three assists for RIC, while DeGrooth notched three assists.
• It was the third shutout win on the year for RIC and the second combined effort by Edwards and Gaglione. The Anchormen are 3-1-1 in their last five contests.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC held a 34-5 advantage in shots and also led, 5-2, in corner kicks for the contest.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Wesleyan at Alumni Field on Wednesday, Oct. 17 (6:00 p.m.).