Providence, R.I.--Senior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) led the Anchorwomen with four shots as the Rhode Island College women's soccer team fell, 3-0, to Western Connecticut in Little East action played at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
Western Connecticut 3, Rhode Island College 0
Western Connecticut (7-6, 4-1 LEC)
Rhode Island College (5-7, 2-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Anchorwomen carried play in the opening 10 minutes of the contest, but were unable to solve Western Connecticut freshman goalkeeper Karly Martin (Bristol, CT).
• The Colonials broke the ice in the 11th minute when freshman forward Kaleigh Panek (Shelton, CT) fought for a loose ball in the box and buried her team-leading seventh goal of the season.
• Western Connecticut went on top, 2-0, in the 27th minute when junior midfielder Bailey McCollum (Cold Spring, NY) set up senior forward Allison Oakley (Beekman, NY) for her second strike of the season.
• The visitors took an 11-7 advantage in shots and led, 3-1, in corner kicks into halftime.
• The game remained a two-goal deficit for RIC before an Anchorwoman foul in the box led to a penalty kick goal by senior midfielder Aileen Maloney (Trumbull, CT) in the 82nd minute. It was her fourth goal on the year.
• RIC junior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made two saves in the loss (3-6). Martin stopped four in the win (2-0). It was her second shutout of the season.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Western Connecticut led in shots (19-9) and corner kicks (8-1).
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at home vs. UMass Dartmouth on Wednesday, Oct. 10 (6 p.m.).