East Boston, Mass.—Senior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) notched her second career hat trick as the Rhode Island College women's soccer team earned their first win of the season with a 4-1 victory at Suffolk on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 4, Suffolk 1
Rhode Island College (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Junior forward Madyson Christian (Douglas, MA) snapped a scoreless game in the 30th minute with an unassisted goal.
• DeGrooth scored twice in a seven-minute time span to stake the visitors to a 3-0 advantage. She scored in the 34th minute and then was set up by sophomore defender Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) in the 41st minute.
• RIC held a 13-4 advantage in shots at the half, while the Rams led in corner kicks, 3-0.
• The hosts cut their deficit down to a pair of goals, 3-1, on sophomore forward Caleigh O'Brien's (Wilbraham, MA) unassisted goal in the 68th minute.
• DeGrooth, who accounted for 10 of RIC's 22 shots on the day, capped the three-goal effort with an unassisted strike in the 75th minute.
• Junior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made two saves in the first half to pick up the win (1-1). Sophomore goalkeeper Carissa Gaglione (West Warwick, RI) stopped three in the second half.
• Suffolk junior goalkeeper Julia Fieldsend (Exeter, NH) took the loss (0-2), stopping three in the first half. Freshman Allison Rodrigues (North Andover, MA) stopped seven in the second half.
• RIC led in shots, 22-9. Suffolk led in corner kicks, 6-1.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host WPI on Tuesday, Sept. 4 (4 p.m.).