Dudley, Mass.—Senior defender Alasondra Apici (Providence, RI) scored four goals, while classmate midfielder Jessica Trautman (Narragansett, RI) netted three, but it wouldn't be enough as the Rhode Island College women's lacrosse team dropped a 19-12 decision at Nichols on Thursday evening.
Nichols 19, Rhode Island College 12
(Rhode Island College 1-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman midfielder Madison McKenna (Cumberland, RI) notched one goal and added four assists.
• Freshman midfielder Lily Fortin (Warwick, RI) also notched five points with two goals and three assists in the setback for the Anchorwomen.
• Sophomore attacker Miranda Smith (Methuen, MA) paced Nichols with four goals and one assist, while senior midfielder Lindsay O'Connell (Danvers, MA) added four goals in the victory.
• Junior attacker Kirsten Sullivan (Arlington, MA) posted three goals and added a pair of assists in the win for the Bison.
• Nichols jumped out to an early, 7-2, advantage before RIC chipped away at the lead and closed the gap to 7-4 on a free position goal by Fortin with 11:03 left in the first half.
• The Bison took a 9-6 lead heading into halftime.
• RIC kept the deficit to within three when three straight goals from Trautman put the score at 12-9 with just over 20 minutes left in the contest.
• Nichols then tallied four straight during a two minute stretch to pull ahead 16-9 before taking the 19-12 victory.
• Junior goalkeeper Julia Eaton (Cumberland, RI) made 20 saves in the setback for RIC, while sophomore Emily Eagan (Hingham, MA) notched 10 stops in the victory for Nichols.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East Conference action at home vs. Plymouth State on Saturday, April 7 (1 p.m.).