Keene, N.H.—Freshman midfielder Madison McKenna (Cumberland, RI) scored a pair of goals as the Rhode Island women's lacrosse team dropped a 16-4 decision at Keene State in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday afternoon.
Keene State 16, Rhode Island College 4
(Keene State 4-6, 1-0 LEC)
(Rhode Island College 1-4, 0-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Keene State opened the scoring on an unassisted goal from sophomore attack Gabby Smith (Laconia, NH) just 1:51 into the contest.
• The host Owls scored the first eight goals of the game, which included what would prove to be the game-winner on an unassisted goal from freshman attack Ali Daisy (Raynham, MA) with 12:59 left in the first half.
• McKenna scored RIC's first goal of the game on a free-position shot with 7:25 left in the half, making the score 8-1.
• Keene State held the 10-2 lead heading into halftime.
• The Owls continued to control the action throughout the second half, outscoring the visitors, 6-2.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Junior midfielder Chelsea Lewis (Londonderry, NH) scored six goals, while Daisy had four markers and an assist in the win for Keene State.
• Senior defenseman Alasondra Apici (Providence, RI) notched a pair of goals and had a ground ball in the loss for RIC.
• Junior goalkeeper Julia Eaton (Cumberland, RI) made 17 saves in the loss for RIC, while junior Anna O'Brien (Winchester, MA) had one save in the win for Keene State.
• Keene State outshot RIC by a 42-6 margin and held a 23-5 advantage over the Anchorwomen in ground balls.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Nichols on Thursday, April 5 (6:30 p.m.).