Chicopee, Mass.—Freshman midfielder Madison McKenna (Cumberland, RI) scored three goals as Rhode Island College was edged by Elms, 6-5, on Thursday evening.
Elms 6, Rhode Island College 5
(Rhode Island College 1-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Elms' Haley Richard (Monson, MA) scored the game-winning goal with less than two minutes to play and the Elms College lacrosse team fended off a furious attack by the Anchorwomen.
• Richard and Alicia Keesee (Westfield, MA) scored the game's first two goals to put the Blazers ahead 2-0, and Elms led 3-2 at halftime.
• RIC evened the score at 4-4 five minutes into the second half, and the game remained tied until Vanessa Vurno (Salem, CT) scored a go-ahead goal with 10:50 to play. McKenna evened the score once more at 5-5 with 3:02 to play before Richard came up with the game-winner with 1:54 on the clock.
• McKenna unleashed a would-be game-tying shot from close range with 15 seconds to play but the attempt was wide, and the Blazers escaped with their first win of the season.
• Richard scored four of Elms' six goals, while Vurno and Keesee added the others. Vurno also added two assists in the game.
• Senior midfielder Alasondra Apici (Providence, RI) netted the other two. RIC junior goalkeeper Julia Eaton (Cumberland, RI) had 16 saves in the game while Elms keeper Emily Hubert (Jefferson, Maine) finished with nine. The Blazers attempted 26 shots, including 22 shots on goal. RIC, meanwhile, attempted 18 shots and 10 of them were on goal.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will open Little East Conference play at Keene State on Saturday, March 31 (1 p.m.).