Ballston Spa, N.Y.-Rhode Island college freshman Megan Mahan (North Andover, MA) and sophomore Nicole Langella (Pembroke, MA) each earned Second Team All-League honors as the women's golf team placed seventh (12 teams) at the 2017 Empire Eight Championship, hosted by St. John Fisher at Ballston Spa Country Club on Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 14-15.
Rhode Island College totaled a two-day team score of 812 (426, 386; +236) to finish seventh in its first year as a member of the Empire Eight. Cortland State won the championship with a score of 682 (344, 338; +106)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Mahan tied for eighth overall with a two-day score of 184 (95, 89)
• Langella tied for eighth with a two-day score of 184 (98, 86).
• Sophomore Kelsey Hinchliffe (Pascoag, RI) carded a total score of 216 (111, 105) to tie for 36th.
• Sophomore Jean Marie Arnold (Westerly, RI) totaled a score of 228 (122, 106) to finish 49th.
BY THE NUMBERS
• There were 12 teams and 62 golfers competing at the par-72 course that measures 5,804 yards.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will compete at the 2017 New England Intercollegiate Golf Association (NEIGA) Championships, played at the Captains Course in Brewster, Mass. on Sunday and Monday, Oct. 22-23.