Salem, Mass.—Sophomore forward Willcia McBorrough (Providence, RI) scored a game-high 16 points to go along with seven rebounds and two blocks to lead the Rhode Island College women's basketball team to a 78-47 victory over Salem State University on Wednesday evening to open the 2019-20 regular season.
Rhode Island College 78, Salem State 47
Rhode Island College (1-0)
Salem State University (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENEND
• RIC senior guard Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, MA) had 15 points, four rebounds, three assists, three steals and one block.
• RIC senior forward Fataya Larry (Brooklyn, NY) recorded eight points and seven rebounds in the win for the Anchorwomen.
• Senior guard Courtney Paschal (Waltham, MA) paced the way for the Vikings with a team-high 13 points and chipped in with seven rebounds.
• RIC opened the game on an 8-0 run with the help of two steals, one from Gauvin that led to a layup for McBorrough and another from junior guard Sophia Guerrier (Waltham, MA), which she took to the hoop for an easy bucket.
• RIC ended the first period on a 9-0 run with a score of 23-5.
• After a Salem State three-pointer from Paschal, the Anchorwomen held the Vikings scoreless for nearly three minutes (2:57) and built a 22-point lead, 34-12.
• Going into the half, RIC was ahead by a commanding 30 points, 42-12.
• The Vikings seemed to find their offense in the second half, scoring 35 total points to the Anchorwomen's 36 points.
• RIC pushed its lead to as many as 33 points, 65-32, in the fourth quarter as RIC kicked off '19-20 with a win.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 45 percent (29-for-65) from the field, 28 percent (7-for-25) from three-point territory and 87 percent (13-fo- 15) from the free throw line.
• SSU shot 32 percent (16-for-50) from the field, 27 percent (3-for-11) from behind the three-point arc and 67 percent (12-for-18) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded SSU, 38-34, and outscored the Vikings, 40-16, in the paint.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Elms on Saturday, Nov. 16 (1 p.m.).