Providence, R.I.--Five players scored in double figures as the Rhode Island College women's basketball team posted a commanding, 96-29, victory over Pine Manor in a non-conference contest played at The Murray Center on Monday evening. Each of the 12 players who dressed for the Anchorwomen registered at least one point in the win.
Rhode Island College 96, Pine Manor 29
Rhode Island College (14-7)
Pine Manor (1-17)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC freshman Willcia McBorrough (Providence, RI) scored a game-high 16 points and added seven rebounds, while freshman forward Analeesia Fernandes (Taunton, MA) notched 12 points and five boards.
• Freshman guard Maire Gallagher (Worcester, MA) scored 11 points and dished out six assists. Sophomore guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) and freshman backcourt mate Geneajha Kilgore (North Kingstown, RI) each tallied 10 points in the win for the Anchorwomen.
• Pine Manor was led by freshman guard Oceane Tabbak (Norwood, MA) with 10 points and four rebounds in the loss.
• RIC raced out to a 23-0 run, capped by a layup from McBorrough with 2:28 left in the first quarter. The Anchorwomen held a commanding, 26-4, lead at the first intermission.
• The Anchorwomen continued to dominate play in the second quarter, en route to a 47-8 advantage heading into the locker room at the half. RIC held Pine Manor to just 14 percent (4-of-27) from the field and forced the Gators into 12 turnovers. RIC shot 50 percent (19-of-38) from the field and posted a 34-12 rebounding advantage at the break.
• RIC extended the lead to 59 points, 74-15, in the third quarter, which included seven points from junior forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) in the stanza.
• The Anchorwomen then cruised to the win, while eclipsing their previous season-high point total of 86 by 10.
BY THE NUMBERS
• The Anchorwomen shot 56 percent (40-for-72) from the field, 50 percent (10-for-20) from three-point range and 60 percent (6-for-10) from the free throw line.
• Pine Manor shot 24 percent (13-for-55) from the field, 25 percent (3-for-12) from the three-point line and 0 percent (0-for-5) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Pine Manor by a 57-22 margin and forced the Gators into 20 turnovers in the contest.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action at UMass Dartmouth on Wednesday, Feb. 6 (5:30 p.m.).