Plymouth, N.H.—Freshman forward Willcia McBorrough (Providence, RI) scored a game-high 15 points and added nine rebounds to lead the Rhode Island College women's basketball team to a, 57-38, win at Plymouth State in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 57, Plymouth State 38
Rhode Island College (10-3, 3-2 LEC)
Plymouth State (5-7, 0-5 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) tallied eight points and pulled down a game-best 12 rebounds to go along with three blocks and two steals.
• Senior guard Jess Conant (Canton, ME) paced Plymouth State with 10 points, while sophomore forward Elizabeth McLaughlin (Melvin Village, NH) added nine points and three rebounds in the loss for the Panthers.
• Both squads struggled offensively in the first quarter with the Anchorwomen holding a 13-10 advantage after one quarter of play.
• RIC opened the second quarter on a 7-0 run to take its first double-digit advantage, 20-10, on a three-pointer from junior guard Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, MA) with 8:32 left in the in the first half.
• The Anchorwomen led by as many as 12 points in the half and took a 31-21 lead heading into the locker room at halftime.
• RIC pushed the lead to 16 when a conventional three-point play from McBorrough put the score at, 44-28, with 3:00 remaining in the third. The visitors held a 49-28 advantage after three quarters of play.
• The Anchorwomen controlled the action down the stretch and cruised to the 57-38 victory
BY THE NUMBERS
• The Anchorwomen shot 42.9 percent (21-for-49) from the field, 23.5 percent (4-for-17) from three-point range and 68.8 percent (11-for-16) from the free throw line.
• Plymouth State shot 31.9 percent (15-for-47) from the field, 20.0 percent (2-for-10) from the three-point line and 60.0 percent (6-for-10) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Plymouth State by a commanding 44-21 margin.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East play at home vs. UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday, Jan. 8 (5:30 p.m.)