Keene, N.H.--Sophomore guard Sophia Guerrier (Waltham, MA) scored 15 points and added seven rebounds, five assists and four steals to lead the Rhode Island College women's basketball team to a 61-35 victory at Keene State in a Little East Conference contest on Wednesday evening.
Rhode Island College 61, Keene State 35
Rhode Island College (8-1, 2-1 LEC)
Keene State (2-7, 0-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) was also in double figures with 11 points and two rebounds.
• Junior forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) added four points, seven rebounds, two assists and two steals in the victory for the Anchorwomen.
• Keene State was led by sophomore guard Lilly Shlimon (Pelham, NH) with 10 points.
• Sophomore forward Samira Sangare (Clifton Park, NY) added eight points and a team-best four rebounds in the loss for the Owls.
• Both teams struggled from the floor early with the score tied, 6-6, midway through the first quarter. RIC had its largest lead of the quarter when a jumper from freshman guard Taylor Thompson (Greenville, SC) gave the Anchorwomen a 14-8 advantage with 1:58 on the clock. RIC led, 14-9, after one quarter of play.
• The Anchorwomen took their first double digit lead, 26-16, on a three-pointer from Thompson with just over two minutes left in the first half.
• RIC had the 31-19 lead heading into the locker room at halftime.
• Keene State used a 12-6 run to open the third quarter and cut the deficit down to just, 37-31, on a jumper from junior forward Kenzie Bennett (Lake George, NY) with 5:08 left in on the clock. That would be as close as the Owls would get, however, as RIC closed out the quarter on a 9-1 run to take the 46-32 lead heading into the final quarter.
• The Anchorwomen dominated the fourth quarter defensively, holding Keene State to just three points, while cruising to the 61-35 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• The Anchorwomen shot 54.1 percent (24-for-47) from the field, 44.4 percent (8-for-18) from three-point range and 71.4 percent (5-for-7) from the free throw line.
• Keene State shot 28.6 percent (12-for-42) from the field, 31.3 percent (5-for-16) from the three-point line and 42.9 percent (6-for-14) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Keene State by a commanding 40-19 margin.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at Southern Maine on Saturday, Dec. 8 (1 p.m.)