Norton, Mass.—Junior guard Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, MA) racked up 10 points and 10 rebounds as the Rhode Island College women's basketball team defeated Wentworth, 57-38, at the Wheaton Invitational on Friday evening.
Rhode Island College 57, Wentworth 38
Rhode Island College (3-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Gauvin also contributed three assists and a pair of steals. Freshman forward Willcia McBorrough (Providence, RI) totaled 10 point and five rebounds.
• Junior forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) pitched in with eight points, five rebounds and three assists.
• Freshman guard Taylor Thompson (Greenville, SC) had nine points and two boards off the bench.
• Wentworth sophomore guard Stephanie Mini (Topsfield, MA) led the Leopards with 15 points, while senior forward Michelle McCloskey (Madison, CT) corraled eight rebounds.
• The Leopards held a 16-11 lead after the first quarter, but Rhode Island College won each of the remaining three frames to pick up the win. The Anchorwomen outscored WIT, 11-5, in the second stanza to hold a one point, 22-21, lead at halftime.
• RIC dominated the third quarter, 18-6, to hold a 40-27 advantage after three quarters. The visitors held a 17-11 advantage in the fourth frame to secure the club's third win of the year.
BY THE NUMBERS
• The Anchorwomen shot 39 percent (23-for-68) from the field, 11 percent (2-for-19) from three-point range and 75 percent (9-for-12) from the free throw line.
• Wentworth shot 38 percent (17-for-45) from the field, eight percent (1-for-13) from the three-point line and 75 percent (3-for-4) from the charity stripe.
• The Anchorwomen dominated the glass, holding a 45-31 advantage in rebounding. RIC forced WIT into 23 turnovers, while only committing 11 miscues on the night.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will face Lesley at the Wheaton Invitational on Saturday, Nov. 16 (1 p.m.).