Dartmouth, Mass.-Sophomore guard Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, MA) scored 11 points, grabbed, six rebounds and dished out three assists as the Rhode Island College women's basketball team fell at UMass Dartmouth, 89-55 in a Little East Conference contest on Wednesday evening.
UMass Dartmouth 89, Rhode Island College 55
(Rhode Island College 7-10, 1-7 LEC)
(UMass Dartmouth 14-3, 8-0 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) tallied 11 points and six rebounds.
• Senior guard Jessa Rubera (Newton, MA) recorded eight points in the setback for the Anchorwomen.
• Senior forward Alicia Kutil (Franklin, MA) paced UMass Dartmouth with a game-high 31 points and 15 rebounds.
• Junior forward Nakira Examond (New Bedford, MA) also had a double-double with 18 points and 11 boards in the win for the Corsairs.
• UMass Dartmouth raced out to the early, 12-,0 lead, capped by a layup from Kutil with 5:36 left in the first quarter.
• The Corsairs continued to control the action in the quarter and took a 21-9 lead heading into the first intermission.
• UMass Dartmouth pushed the lead to 20 points, 33-13, midway through the second quarter on a pair of free throws from Kutil. The Corsairs led, 44-14, lead heading into the locker room at halftime.
• RIC scored 19 third quarter points, but couldn't close the gap as UMD built its advantage to 69-33 after three quarters of play and never looked back.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC shot 37.5 percent (20-of-56) from the field, 33.3 percent (7-of-21) from beyond the three-point line and 72.7 percent (8-of-11) from the free throw line.
• UMass Dartmouth shot 48.6 percent (34-of-70) from the field, 45.5 percent (5-of-11) from beyond the three-point line and 61.5 percent (16-of-26) from the free throw line.
• UMass Dartmouth outrebounded RIC by a 55-23 margin and forced the Anchorwomen into 26 turnovers.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host UMass Boston on Saturday, Jan. 27 (1 p.m.).