New Haven, Conn.--The Rhode Island softball team split a Little East Conference doubleheader against Western Connecticut on Thursday afternoon at Albertus Magnus. RIC secured the, 8-2, win in the opener with Western Connecticut earning the split with a, 3-0, shutout victory in the nightcap.
Game One: Rhode Island College 8, Western Connecticut 2
Game Two: Western Connecticut 3, Rhode Island College 0
RIC (17-13, 4-8 LEC)
Western Connecticut (17-13, 5-7 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior shortstop Kelsey Burgess (North Providence, RI) went 1-for-2 with two RBI, while sophomore first baseman Amber Wainwright (Taunton, MA) was 1-for-3 with a run scored and an RBI in the win.
• RIC jumped out to the early lead by sending five across the plate in the top of the first, which included an RBI single from sophomore right fielder Erica Fluskey (Trumbull, CT).
• A two-run home run from junior shortstop Charline Plasczyns (Bristol, CT) cut the Anchorwomen's lead to 5-2 in the bottom of the fourth inning.
• RIC used an RBI single from Burgess as part of a three-run fifth inning to extend its advantage to 8-2 and secure the league win.
• Senior starter Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) picked up the win (10-6) for RIC, allowing two runs on six hits with two strikeouts in a complete game effort.
• Junior pitcher Angelina Miller (Holbrook, NY) took the loss (4-3) for Western Connecticut, allowing four runs on three hits in 2.2 innings.
• RIC senior catcher Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, RI) went 1-for-2 and drew a walk in the loss for the Anchorwomen.
• WCSU junior left fielder Erica Bower (Hillsborough, NJ) was 2-for-3 with a pair of runs scored.
• Senior starter Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) took the loss (6-5) for RIC, allowing three runs on eight hits with two strikeouts in six innings.
• Senior starter Jaclyn Smith (Sandwich, MA) earned the win (5-4) for Western Connecticut, throwing seven scoreless innings and allowing just five hits.
• Western took the 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second on a pair of run-scoring bunts.
• The Colonials then added an insurance run on an RBI single from sophomore right fielder Kara Hanson (East Haven, CT) in the bottom of the sixth en route to the victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action with a doubleheader at Castleton on Saturday, April 27 (3:30 p.m.)