Providence, R.I.--Senior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) hurled Rhode Island College past Southern Maine, 5-2, in game one of a Little East doubleheader played at the Dayna A. Bazar Softball Complex on Saturday afternoon. The Huskies stormed back to defeat the Anchorwomen, 11-0 (five innings), in the nightcap to earn the split.
Game One: Rhode Island College 5, Southern Maine 2
Game Two: Southern Maine 11, Rhode Island College 0 (five innings).
Rhode Island College (15-9, 2-4 LEC)
Southern Maine (13-10, 2-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Junior center fielder Michaela DeAngelis (North Providence, RI) went 1-for-3 with a pair of RBI, while Gough struck out four in seven innings to earn her ninth (9-4) win of the year.
• Freshman second baseman Marissa Cushman (Cranston, RI) went 1-for-3 with a run scored, an RBI and a stolen base.
• USM junior right fielder Erin Martin (Biddeford, ME) went 4-for-4 with two runs scored, a pair of doubles and a solo home run (4).
• The visitors took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first on junior designated player Kayleigh Bohan (Bedford, NH) RBI single.
• RIC took the lead for good with a two-run first inning, paced by a Cushman RBI single.
• Senior shortstop Cristin Chiaverini (Pawtucket, RI) singled in a run in the second and DeAngelis plated a pair with a single in the third to put the hosts up, 5-1.
• Martin homered in the sixth to cap the game's offensive output. Southern Maine junior starter Madison Greene (Moultonborough, NH) suffered the loss (3-1).
• Southern Maine got an outstanding effort from junior pitcher Alexis Brown (Malden, MA) as the Huskies ended the game early. Brown allowed just four hits and struck out nine in five innings to pick up her sixth (6-5) win of the season.
• After Brown helped her cause with an RBI single in the third, a costly error with a bases loaded staked the visitors to a 4-0 lead.
• The wheels came off the wagon for the Anchorwomen in the fifth as USM put across seven runs on eight hits to build a double-digit advantage and earn the split. Bohan brought in two with a double as part of the outburst.
• RIC senior Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) took the loss (5-3).
BY THE NUMBERS
• Brown, who also hurled 3.1 scoreless innings of relief in the opener, was dominant on the day. The righty stuck out 17 in 8.1 innings of work, allowing just six hits without surrendering a run. At the plate, she went 4-for-8 with a run scored and a double.
• Martin went 5-for-7 with four runs scored, two doubles and a homer. Bohan knocked in three with a double and a run scored.
• Simmons with 2-for-6 with a run scored, a double, one RBI and a steal for the hosts.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action with a doubleheader at Western Connecticut on Tuesday, April 16 (5 p.m.).