Bristol, R.I.--The Rhode Island College softball team improved their winning streak to six games with a doubleheader sweep at Roger Williams on Tuesday afternoon. The Anchorwomen won game one, 13-4, and then took the nightcap, 17-3. Both games ended early due to the eight-run rule. Each of RIC's seven wins have been decided in five innings.
Game One: Rhode Island College 13, Roger Williams 4 (five innings)
Game Two: Rhode Island College 17, Roger Williams 3 (five Innings)
Rhode Island College (7-5)
Roger Williams (6-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• In game one, freshman second baseman Marissa Cushman (Cranston, RI) stayed hot at the plate, going 3-for-4 with three runs scored, three RBI and a double. Senior third baseman Cristin Chiaverini (Pawtucket, RI) went 3-for-5 with three runs scored.
• Junior shortstop Kelsey Burgess (North Providence, RI) went 3-for-4 with a run scored, two doubles and an RBI. Senior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) picked up the win (4-2), allowing four runs on seven hits in five innings of work.
• The game was tied, 3-3, after three, but the Anchorwomen scored three times in the fourth and seven in the fifth to end the game early. RIC pounded out 19 hits in the win.
• Burgess led the club in game two, going 2-for-4 with two runs scored, two doubles and four RBI. Cushman went 2-for-3 with three runs scored and an RBI, while Gough, the designated player, crossed home plate three times.
• Senior pitcher Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) did not allow an earned run, surrendering seven hits and striking out three in five innings in the circle.
• Roger Williams led, 2-0, after two innings. RIC erupted for six runs in the top of the third, then plated three and eight runs, respectively, in the fourth and fifth frames to end the game early.
• The Anchorwomen have outscored their opponents, 90-13, over the past six games.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will open Little East play with a doubleheader vs. Eastern Connecticut at home on Tuesday, April 2 (4 p.m.).