Winchester, Va.--The Rhode Island College softball team was swept in a doubleheader at Shenandoah on Tuesday afternoon. The Anchorwomen fell, 10-9, in the opener and dropped a 13-0 decision (five innings) in the nightcap.
Game One: Shenandoah 10, Rhode Island College 9
Game Two: Shenandoah 13 , Rhode Island College 0 (5 innings)
Rhode Island College (1-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore right fielder Erica Fluskey (Trumbull, CT) went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI, while freshman designated player Katrina Kazen (Warwick, RI) went 2-for-3 with a run scored and three RBI in the setback.
• Senior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) took the loss for the Anchorwomen, allowing 10 runs, seven of them earned, on 13 hits with four strikeouts in six innings of work. She was also 2-for-3 at the plate with a pair of runs scored.
• Shenandoah was led by freshman right fielder Madison Clark (Winchester, VA) who went 3-for-4 with a run scored and four RBI.
• RIC got on the board first when an RBI single from Kazen gave the Anchorwomen the 1-0 advantage in the top of the second.
• Shenandoah answered in the bottom of the second when they plated four runs, which was highlighted by a two-run home run from senior designated player Carrie Robinson (Front Royal, VA) to take the 4-1 lead.
• The host Hornets tacked on a run in the bottom of the third when an RBI single from Clark made the score 5-1.
• The Anchorwomen rallied in the top of the fourth as they pushed across four runs, including back-to-back RBI singles from freshman second baseman Reilly Clancey (Narragansett, RI) and junior center fielder Michaela DeAngelis (North Providence, RI), to knot the game at 5-5
• RIC regained the lead in the top of the fifth when an RBI single from Kazen scored Fluskey to give the Anchormen the 6-5 advantage.
• Shenandoah responded again in the bottom of the fifth as an RBI double from freshman third baseman Taylor Glover (Westminster, MD) made the score 6-6.
• RIC junior shortstop Kelsey Burgess (North Providence, RI) and Fluskey each had RBI singles in the top of the sixth to stake the Anchorwomen to an 8-6 lead.
• Once again, Shenandoah responded in the bottom of the sixth as they plated four runs, which included a two-run single from sophomore first baseman Maryann Hollen (Fairfax, VA) to regain the 10-8 advantage.
• RIC closed the gap to 10-9 in the top of the seventh when freshman pinch runner Marissa Cushman (Cranston, RI) stole home. The Anchormen then put the tying run in scoring position, but couldn't push it across as Shenandoah held on for the 10-9 victory.
• Fluskey and junior pinch hitter Shaelyn DaSilveira (Seekonk, MA) each had one hit in the 13-0 setback in the nightcap for RIC.
• Senior Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) suffered the loss in the pitching circle for the Anchorwomen.
• Sophomore Morgan Henley (Poquoson, VA) paced Shenandoah, going 2-for-4 with two runs scored and four RBI, while sophomore shortstop Sierra Beaty (Manassas, VA) also had four RBI in the win for the Hornets.
• Robinson picked up the win for Shenandoah, throwing three scoreless innings, while allowing only one hit with a pair of strikeouts.
• Shenandoah broke the game open with 10 runs in the second inning, paced by a grand slam from Beaty, en route to the 13-0 victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Mass. Maritime for a doubleheader on Saturday, March 16 (1 p.m.).