Castleton, Vt.--Senior Matt Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) picked up a pair of victories, including a (6-2, 6-0) win at No. 3 singles, to lead the Rhode Island College men's tennis team to a 7-2 victory at Castleton State in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 7, Castleton 2
Rhode Island College (3-1, 2-0 LEC)
Castleton (2-5, 0-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI) and senior Alan Esposito (Clinton, CT) posted an 8-5 win over at No. 1 doubles against Castleton juniors Igor Almeida (Praia, Cape Verde) and Jared Wheeler (Coventry, RI).
• Senior Chandler Scott (Ashaway, RI) and sophomore Mike Shea (Greenville, RI) notched an 8-4 victory at No. 2 doubles against senior Nate Hinson (Woodstock, VT) and junior Tripp Norris (Shelburne, VT).
• Gambardella and sophomore Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) posted an 8-0 win at No. 3 doubles against the Castleton tandem of freshman Levi Williams (Schroon Lake, NY) and junior Spencer Butler.
• Gambardella posted a win (6-2, 6-0) over Hinson at the No. 3 singles spot, while Hoy earned his second win of the day with a victory (6-1, 6-3) against Williams at No. 4 singles.
• Shea posted his second win of the day with a victory (6-1, 6-3) over Norris at No. 5 singles. Esposito posted a (6-0, 6-1) win over Butler at sixth singles.
• The lone victories for Castleton came at No. 1 singles where Almeida posted a win (7-5, 7-5) over Bourque and at the No. 2 singles spot where Wheeler had a three-set victory (6-2, 3-6, 3-6) against Scott.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Lesley on Monday, April 1 (3:30 p.m.).