Providence, R.I.—Senior Brett Taggart (North Kingstown, RI) picked up a pair of wins, including a match-clinching win at No. 2 singles, to lead the Rhode Island College men's tennis team to a 5-4 victory over Western Connecticut in a Little East Conference contest played at the RIC Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 5, Western Connecticut 4
(Rhode Island College 8-1, 3-0 LEC)
(Western Connecticut 0-6, 0-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC opened an early advantage after taking two of the three doubles contests.
• Taggart and freshman Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI) recorded an 8-3 win over freshman William Hogan (Ridgefield, CT) and freshman Matthew Carino (Sandy Hook, CT) at the No. 1 doubles spot.
• Western Connecticut took their lone win of doubles competition at the No. 2 position where junior Chauncey Allers (Wilton, CT) and sophomore Aaron Campos (Ridgefield, CT) posted a 9-8 win over RIC freshmen Cam Chadwick (Narragansett, RI) and Mike Dickie (Smithfield, RI).
• The Anchormen pairing of junior Matthew Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) and freshman Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) defeated WCSU senior Jeffrey Hensley (Naugatuck, CT) and sophomore Shivam Patel (Norwalk, CT) at third doubles to put RIC up 2-1 heading into singles action.
• Hoy posted a (6-3, 6-0) win over Patel at the No. 5 spot to pick up his second win on the day for RIC.
• Gambardella then earned his second win of the day, a hard-fought (4-6, 6-2, 6-2) victory over Allers, to give the Anchormen their fourth win of the afternoon.
• Taggart sealed the crucial LEC victory for RIC with a (6-4, 7-6) win over Hogan at the No. 2 spot to propel the Anchormen to the 5-4 final.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at home against UMass Boston on Saturday, April 14 (1 p.m.).