Providence, R.I.—Rhode Island College sophomore forward Brandon Ramos (Boston, MA) scored twice as the Anchormen wrapped up Little East men's soccer play with a 4-1 win vs. Southern Maine at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 4, Southern Maine 1
Rhode Island College (8-6-2, 5-2-1 LEC)
Southern Maine (0-14-4, 0-6-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Huskies had an excellent scoring opportunity in the 11th minute when the hosts were whistled for a foul at the top of the 18-yard box. Senior defender Chris Pepin (Bowdoinham, ME) shot was blocked by the wall and cleared out of harm's way.
• The Anchormen went on top, 1-0, just six minutes later when freshman midfielder Papa Badiane (West Kingston, RI) and classmate forward Thomas Aldana (Providence, RI) set up Ramos for his fourth of the season.
• Ramos netted his second of the game and fifth of the season when freshman midfielder Ricardo Benitez (Cumberland, RI) took a corner kick and placed a perfect ball for Ramos to head into the net in the 32nd minutes.
• RIC led at the half, 11-5, and corner kicks, 4-0.
• The Anchormen wasted no time in adding to their lead when junior forward Sa-Leem Kamarah (Providence, RI) notched his fourth of the year in the 47th minute.
• USM got on the board in the 52nd minute when some nifty one-touch passing by senior forward Sam Anderson (Middletown, CT) and sophomore midfielder Zekariya Shaib (Portland, ME) set up freshman forward Noah Perry (Waterboro, ME) for his team-leading third goal of the year.
• The Anchormen scored off another corner to go up by three, 4-1, in the 78th minutes. Freshman midfielder Matt Lopes (Cumberland, RI) sent the ball into the box where junior defender Kossivi Dogbey (Providence, RI) banged home his first goal of the year.
• RIC led in shots, 8-4, and corner kicks, 4-1, in the second half.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC junior goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) made six saves in the win (7-6-2).
• USM senior goalkeeper Dalton Cassidy (Fort Fairfield, ME) made four saves in the loss (0-2).
• RIC led in shots, 19-9, and corner kicks, 8-1.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Fitchburg State on Wednesday Oct. 30 (6 p.m.).