Providence, R.I.--Freshman midfielder Papa Badiane (West Kingston, RI) scored late in the second half to lift the Rhode Island College men's soccer team to a 1-0 victory over Western Connecticut in Little East Conference action played at Alumni Field on Saturday.
Rhode Island College 1, Western Connecticut 0
Rhode Island College (4-4-1, 1-1 LEC)
Western Connecticut State University (7-3, 1-1 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The first half was even in its entirety, with neither side able to get anything going on offense. The Colonials held the advantage in shots, 7-4, while both teams had two corner kicks apiece.
• RIC junior goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) kept the scored tied on multiple high quality WCSU chances in the first half, totaling four saves in the opening stanza.
• The game's lone goal came in the 85th minute of action when freshman midfielder Ian Kampershroer (Ledyard, CT) controlled the ball down the left side of the field and made a perfect crossing pass, finding a wide-open Badiane, who headed the ball to the back of the net for his second goal of the year.
• It was Kampershroer's first collegiate point.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Tashjian made eight saves in the win (3-4-1).
• WCSU junior goalkeeper Daniel Szabo (Trumbull, CT) made four saves in the loss (7-3).
• WCSU led in shots, 14-9, and held the advantage in corner kicks, 6-5.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East play at home vs. Eastern Connecticut on Wednesday, Oct. 2 (6 p.m.).