Worcester, Mass.-Rhode Island College freshman forward Joseph Scolaro (Bristol, RI) scored his first career goal and classmate midfielder Ricardo Benitez (Cumberland, RI) picked up his first collegiate assist in the men's soccer team's, 3-1, loss to Worcester State on Wednesday evening.
Worcester State 3, Rhode Island College 1
Rhode Island College (1-1)
Worcester State University (1-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Worcester State jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the third minute when freshman forward Hamza Shakir (Worcester, MA) scored on an assist by sophomore midfielder Iljant Cenolli (Korce, Albania).
• The Lancers increased their lead in the final minute of the first half when junior forward Liren Halle (Arlington, TX) scored after a RIC foul.
• WSU senior forward Ethan Melia (Shrewsbury, MA) staked the hosts to a 3-0 lead with a strike 8:35 into the second half. Senior forward Alfred Koroma (Millbury, MA) was credited with the assist.
• The Anchormen were scoreless until Scolaro's goal in the 83rd minute.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC junior goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) made four saves in the loss (1-1).
• Worcester State senior goalkeeper Henri Guilmette (Franklin, MA) made seven saves in the win (1-2)
• RIC outshot the Lancers for the game, 16-11, while WSU led in corner kicks, 7-4.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Roger Williams on Saturday, Sept. 7 (3 p.m.).