Danbury, Conn.--Freshman forward Brandon Ramos (Boston, MA) scored the lone goal for the Rhode Island College men's soccer team as they dropped a 3-1 decision at Western Connecticut in a Little East Conference contest on Saturday afternoon. The game was a rematch of the 2017 LEC Tournament Championship game.
Western Connecticut 3, Rhode Island College 1
Rhode Island College (3-6-1, 1-4-0 LEC)
Western Connecticut (9-2-2, 2-1-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Western Connecticut got on the board early when sophomore midfielder Harrison Allers (Wilton, CT) scored on a pass from his brother, senior forward Chauncey Allers (Wilton, CT), at the 8:15 mark.
• The host Colonials extended the lead to 2-0 in the 15th minute when freshman Naseem Thompson (Torrington, CT) headed in a crossing pass from senior midfielder Darion Richeme' (Danbury, CT).
• WCSU made it a three-goal advantage, 3-0, in the 30th minute by scoring on a header from defender Spencer Ranno (Sherman, CT) with an assist credited to defender Thomas Langkafel (Carmel, NY).
• The Colonials outshot RIC, 11-3, in the first half.
•The Anchormen got on the scoreboard with 29:31 remaining in the game when Ramos scored his team-leading fifth goal of the season. He was set up with a pass from freshman forward Jonathan Oliveira (Providence, RI).
BY THE NUMBERS
• Sophomore goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) posted 10 saves in the loss (3-6-1) for the Anchormen.
• Western Connecticut sophomore goalkeeper Daniel Szabo (Trumbull, CT) notched three stops in the win (7-0-1) for the Colonials
• WCSU held a 25-8 advantage in shots and a 6-5 lead in corner kicks for the contest.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East play at UMass Dartmouth on Wednesday, Oct. 10 (7 p.m.).