Bristol, R.I.—Senior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI) and freshman forward Brandon Ramos (Boston, MA) each scored as the Rhode Island College men's soccer team opened the 2018 season with a 2-0 victory over Colby-Sawyer at the Roger Williams Invitational on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 2, Colby-Sawyer 0
Rhode Island College (1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The game was the season-opener for both clubs and the contest remained scoreless until the 68th minute. RIC held an 11-5 advantage in shots in the first half, with each club garnering a corner kick.
• Freshman forward Jonathan Oliveira (Providence, RI) set up Vazquez for what would prove to be the game-winner with just over 22 minutes left in the game.
• Ramos scored just over four minutes later in the 73rd minute to give the Anchormen an important insurance goal.
• Sophomore goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) made three saves to earn his sixth career shutout. Colby-Sawyer senior goalkeeper Shane Sacks (Huntington Station, NY) made 11 stops in the loss.
• The Anchormen held a decided advantage in shots, 23-7, and corner kicks, 4-1, in the win.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Roger Williams on Sunday, Sept. 2 (1:30 p.m.).