Worcester, Mass.-Senior midfielder Gabriel Paiz (North Providence, RI) scored his first collegiate goal to help lead the Rhode Island College men's soccer team to a 1-0 victory at Worcester State on Tuesday night.
Rhode Island College 1, Worcester State 0
(Worcester State 6-5)
(Rhode Island College 6-5-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The two teams battled through a scoreless first half with Worcester State holding a 6-3 advantage in shots for the stanza.
• RIC got on the board in the 54th when junior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI)played a through ball to Paiz, who put a shot across the goal line and into the corner of the net to put the Anchormen up, 1-0.
• That would be all the scoring for the evening as RIC outshot Worcester State by a 7-6 margin in the second half en route to the 1-0 victory.
• Freshman Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) (6-4-1) made three saves for RIC to earn his second straight shutout, while sophomore Henri Guilmette (Franklin, MA) (2-2) recorded three stops in the loss for Worcester State.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Worcester State outshot RIC by a 12-10 margin and held a 5-1 advantage in corner kicks in the contest.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Western Connecticut for a Little East Conference contest on Sunday, Oct. 15 (1 p.m.).