Providence, R.I.-Senior forward Komla Dogbey (Providence, RI) hit the post twice as the Rhode Island College men's soccer team suffered a 1-0 setback against Gordon at Alumni Field on Tuesday afternoon.
Gordon 1, Rhode Island College 0
(Rhode Island College 4-5-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The two teams battled back and forth throughout the first half with Gordon holding an 8-4 advantage in shots for the stanza. Neither team could capitalize as the game headed into halftime in a scoreless tie.
• The Anchormen had their best scoring chance of the contest in the 62nd minute when junior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI) went in on a breakaway down the left side of the field. Gordon freshman goalkeeper Wesley Sprague (Naperville, IL) was equal to the task, however as he saved a shot from 10 yards out to preserve the scoreless tie.
• Gordon got on the board at the 64:40 mark when junior defender Collin Surface (Tallmadge, OH) sent a crossing pass into the box that was deflected by sophomore forward David Cochran (Bellville, OH). Junior forward Tyler Modzeleski (Cazenovia, NY) collected the loose ball and blasted in a shot from 10 yards out to give Gordon the 1-0 lead. The goal was Modzeleski's third of the season.
• RIC had a chance to even the score in the 73rd minute when a header from Dogbey hit off the far post. The loose ball was then cleared off the goal line by senior defender Jerry Williams (Royersford, PA) to maintain the one goal advantage for Gordon.
• RIC freshman goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) (4-4-1) had four saves in the setback for RIC, while Sprague (6-4) tallied eight stops for Gordon.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC had a 13-12 advantage in shots for the contest with each team notching four corner kicks.
• RIC was whistled for 20 fouls in the setback.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East Conference action at home against UMass Dartmouth on Saturday, Oct. 7 (1 p.m.).