Waltham, Mass.—Freshman guard Shion Darby (Peekskill, NY) led the way for the Anchormen with 34 points as the Rhode Island College men's basketball team fell vs. Brandeis University, 81-75, at the Gosman Center on Saturday afternoon.
Brandeis 81, Rhode Island College 75
Rhode Island College (4-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The first half began with both teams trading baskets and neither side building much of a lead. The Judges went on a run and built their largest lead of 14 points just before the halftime intermission.
• Brandeis led at the half, 45-31. Junior guard Keyshaun Jacobs (Lynn, MA) paced the Anchormen with 14 points over the first 20 minutes.
• The Anchormen were down by their largest margin of 22 points, 62-40, at the 12:42 mark of the second half. RIC battled back in the game and closed the gap to single digits with under a minute left to play.
• The Anchormen outscored the Judges in the second half, 44-36, but the comeback effort came up just short, as they eventually fell by six points.
• Jacobs finished with 25 points and two rebounds. Senior forward Ben Vezele (Providence, RI) finished with seven points and grabbed 11 boards.
• BU senior guard Collin Sawyer (New London, CT) led the way for the hosts with 17 points, three assists and one steal.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 37 percent (23-for-63) from the field, 45 percent (13-for-29) from three-point range and 76 percent (16-for-21) from the foul line.
• BU shot 55 percent (30-for-55) from the field, 50 percent (8-for-16) from downtown and 62 percent (13-for-21) from the foul line.
• Brandeis held the advantage on the glass, 39-31, and outscored RIC in the paint, 36-18.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Bridgewater State on Tuesday, Nov. 26 (7:30 p.m.).